List:       rdesktop-users
Subject:    Re: [rdesktop-users] Holy mother of God!~!
From:       Peter_Åstrand <astrand () cendio ! se>
Date:       2006-05-30 8:36:56

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Eric P wrote:

> I am bursting with joy at recently discovering rdesktop!  Thank you
> so much for writing such a solid, easy-to-setup and wonderfully
> implemented piece of RDC client software!

Thanks!

> Where can I make a donation?

I'm glad to announce that it's now possible to donate to the rdesktop
project, through the SF donation system
(http://sourceforge.net/project/project_donations.php?group_id=24366).

You can also donate directly to individual rdesktop developers that have
enabled donations. Currently, this includes Matt Chapman and me. Donations
to me will allow me to use more of my spare time to go through the bugs
and patches trackers. This is something that I really feel needs to be
done.

> Ps. Side note: Before discovering rdesktop, I was toying with using
> the VPN/VNC combo to get secure access to my work desktop, but VNC
> is so darn clunky (i.e., responsiveness sucked and a bit more work
> to set-up).  RDC is VERY responsive in comparison.  Is it just a
> better implementation of desktop sharing?  Or is this not really
> comparing apples to apples?

Most Windows VNC servers uses a polling approach, which gives a
non-optimal performance. There are "mirror" or "hook" drivers" available
for some implementations, such as TightVNC.

The X11 server Xvnc uses a more direct approach. We are using it in
ThinLinc and it gives a really good performance.

Regards,
--
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio			http://www.cendio.se