List:       rdesktop-users
Subject:    [rdesktop-users] Re: Win2003 TS CAL question
From:       Mark Hellman <markhellman () techie ! com>
Date:       2006-04-29 17:27:37

Andrew Smith wrote:

> Hi We are running Windows 2003 Terminal Server and have purchased and
> use "Per Device" CAL licenses.
>
> Now I've had a look though the old achieves for rdesktop and it seams
> that there could be some issue with connecting a pure rdesktop client
> (ie a none Windows device) to Windows 2003 TS server because rdesktop
> does not support Windows TS CALs, so the Win 2003 server assigns the
> rdesktop client a Temporary license. Which then expires after 90 days
> and thus disables the rdesktop client.
>
> Could someone confirm if this is the case?

I had a Win2003 configured with "Per Device" TSCAL and, as far as I can
remember, rdesktop clients were issued permanent licenses. But even if the
temporary license expires and a permanent one is not issued, use the -n
option of rdesktop to connect using a different hostname.

If you configure "Per User" TSCAL, Win2003 doesn't even manage the licenses
for ANY client...

Mark