List:       rdesktop-devel
Subject:    [rdesktop-devel] [ rdesktop-Bugs-1271896 ] Color of the "text
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2011-02-06 4:32:54

Bugs item #1271896, was opened at 2005-08-25 16:56
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by yarq
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=381347&aid=1271896&group_id=24366

not just the latest update.
Category: Visual
Group: None

Initial Comment:
This problem is reproduced easily with PuTTY, the popular
SSH client for Windows. PuTTY is started in a remote
desktop session, of course. The "text select" mouse cursor
over a PuTTY window is black and thus hardly visible on the
window's default black background if using rdesktop. The
cursor is white, as it should be, if using MSTSC. Moreover,
the mouse cursor becomes black or white if reconnecting to
the same session with rdesktop or MSTSC, respectively.

In general, rdesktop always seems to use black color for
the "text select" mouse pointer while MSTSC, as well as the
regular Windows desktop, does something like logical NOT
over the underlying pixels to get the pointer image on the
screen. The latter approach ensures easily that the pointer
is visible over any solid filling or pattern.

Versions used to reproduce the bug:
MS Windows Server 2003 SP1
rdesktop 1.4.1
PuTTY 0.58

Comment By: Yar Tikhiy (yarq)
Date: 2011-02-06 07:32

Message:
Warren,

I really appreciate that this issue is remembered and understood.  Indeed,
it is deeper and more of an architectural one than I would anticipate back
when I submitted it.

Thank you!

Yar

Comment By: Warren Falk (warrenfalk)
Date: 2011-02-04 22:53

Message:
This isn't really an rdesktop bug but a limitation of X.  (That's the short
answer - but there may be a workaround)

For performance, rdesktop is mapping windows cursors to X cursors.  RDP
servers transmit the actual bitmaps of the cursors (i.e. it doesn't say
"switch to I-beam cursor, it sends the I-beam cursor image over the
network).  Rdesktop creates an X cursor from that data.

The problem is that windows is capable of using "xor" pixels which change
based on the pixels underneath them.  X is not capable of this.  So you
can't simply map a windows cursor onto an X cursor.

There may be a workaround which would be to hide the X cursor and just
simulate a windows cursor right on the main surface.  I don't know what the
performance impact would be (might need to be an option on the cmd line)

A short term workaround might be to find a windows I-beam cursor that
isn't all black (or all white either, probably), or use putty with a
non-black background or something.

Comment By: Matt LaPlante (cyberdog3k)