List:       rdesktop-devel
Subject:    [rdesktop-devel] question about key press and release handling
From:       Paul Winder <Paul.Winder () tadpole ! com>
Date:       2010-10-20 17:53:45

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed that within an rdesktop login session changing
the key autorepeat settings has no effect?

This led me to do some investigation, and I understand X windows and MS
Windows generate auto-repeats differently. X does key down-up-down-up
... etc whilst MS does down-down-down-down-up. Which is fair enough.

What I'm trying to understand why in xkeymap_send_keys, when a key is
pressed a press _and_ release are sent immediately? Why isn't the
release sent only when the key is released? Is it something to do with
auto-repeat? Should it detect when it is auto-repeating and send
repeated downs?

The behaviour seems odd to me, but there maybe a good reason for it. If
not I will fix it so the auto-repeat behaves as expected.

Thanks
Paul