List:       rdesktop-devel
Subject:    [rdesktop-devel] [ rdesktop-Patches-1970489 ] NET_WM_ICON segfault
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2010-01-18 8:06:24

Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by astrand
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=381349&aid=1970489&group_id=24366

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
On x86_64 using 1.6.0 and seamlessrdp I get a segfault in ewmh_set_icon and \
ewmh_del_icon.  To reproduce: use rdesktop to seamlessrdp load IE on XP SP2, start \
browsing, boom.

http://2006.planet-soc.com/node/265/ explains why fault occurred (same problem, \
different project):

"Problem was in X functions XChangeProperty and XGetWindowProperty. They are used to \
set/retrieve some additional information associated with X windows. One of their \
arguments is 'format', which (on 32bit machines) says the size of one 'item' stored \
in property. The functions then expect array of these items. But, there is an \
important phrase in manpage, which was overlooked: " If the returned format is 32, \
the returned data is represented as a long array...". And the important thing is, \
that on x86_64, size of long is not 32, but 64 bits. The function expects array of \
'long's, from which it always takes lower 32bit and discards the rest. So the \
resulted data which were stored and consecutively retrieved with old method, missed \
every odd 'int'. And, with data damaged this way, rdesktop could crash."

Patch to fix this is attached - changes using uint32s in a few places to unsigned \
longs.  Tested and fixed my x86_64 box, should be a no-op on i386...

Cheers,

Jim

Date: 2010-01-18 09:06

Message:
I have now applied the attached patch, plus made the memcpy adjustment
suggested by comment "2009-10-14 14:35".

I've also marked #1967935 as a duplicate of this tracker item. Closing.

Comment By: Peter Åstrand (astrand)