List:       rdesktop-devel
Subject:    [rdesktop-devel] [ rdesktop-Bugs-1446709 ] rdesktop sound redirection causes very high CPU usage
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2006-03-09 19:41:22

Bugs item #1446709, was opened at 2006-03-09 11:41
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=381347&aid=1446709&group_id=24366

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Whenever I enable sound redirection with rdesktop, I
experience very high CPU usage when sounds are playing
(this is the top line from top):

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM
TIME+  COMMAND
25526 miker     15   0  5640 2256 1612 R   71  0.2
1:34.20 rdesktop

The mstsc.exe client when running through wine does not
exhibit this problem, but is pretty slow.

What method does rdesktop use to play sound on linux,
and is there any way to change it? What could I try to
debug this problem?

General system config: Gentoo 2006.1 , rdesktop 1.4.1 ,
snd_emu10k1 driver in Linux 2.6.15