List:       razor-users
Subject:    Re: [Razor-users] Mails with Subject "Test" rejected ??
From:       Dan Wilder <dan () ssc ! com>
Date:       2003-03-14 17:18:42

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 11:52:03AM -0500, Matt Kettler wrote:

> Quite frankly, I'd question the wisdom of using razor for blocking. I find
> the accuracy of razor to be too low to be suitable as an outright block
> tool. If you are going to use it as a block tool, at least set it so min_cf
> = 90 or higher..... At least at the higher-end of the CF range you get
> somewhat reasonable false-positive rates.

Amen.  Use Razor and other tools to presort mail into folders
of "probable spam" and "probable ham" but have users do the
final sort.

This works well for us.  Some of our role accounts, for
example <ljeditor@ssc.com>, get several hundred spams a day.
Our editor finds it much easier to look through the spam folder
for the sporadic false positive once a day, than to have to sort
through all that spam in her main incoming mailbox.

Look into SpamAssassin.  One of its tools is Razor, but
it doesn't classify mails as spam based purely on result from
a single tool.  Get a recent release.  Each new release of
SpamAssassin adds new tools to the mix.

By computing a composite score based on results of several tools,
SpamAssassin tends to even out the excesses of individual tools.