List:       rampart-dev
Subject:    Encrypting the keystore password crypto property
From:       "Andrew Fielden" <afielden () tibco ! com>
Date:       2007-02-22 11:03:49

Hi,

I'm using Apache Rampart 1.1.

I have a question about the crypto properties, specifically the keystore
password. It's stored as a plain text property -

org.apache.ws.security.crypto.merlin.keystore.password=password
org.apache.ws.security.crypto.merlin.file=key.jks

Jetty has a facility to obfuscate a password property, and we've used
this to store the SSL keystore password in the jetty.xml config file -

<Set name="Keystore"> mykey.jks</Set>
<Set name="Password">OBF:xxxxxxxxxxxxx</Set>

However I don't know if Rampart has a similar feature. We would
obviously prefer not to store a plain text password in a file.

I would appreciate any comments, or an indication of whether it's
supported or not.
If this isn't a supported feature, then I think it should be considered,
as this is a security flaw.

Thanks.
Andrew.