List:       rails
Subject:    [Rails] Using different layouts inside one controller
From:       jarkko () jlaine ! net (Jarkko Laine)
Date:       2005-01-29 19:45:48

On 29.1.2005, at 02:08, Duane Johnson wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's just my understanding of layouts or what, but I
> was a bit confused by the following:

Sorry, I answered Ben yesterday, but it seems my response cam not to
the list. I wasn't sure at first if Ben meant layout in general (as a
web design term) or RoR Layouts. The latter turned out to be the case.
So here's my response from yesterday, although I think Bruno already
covered this pretty well:

On 28.1.2005, at 18:18, Ben Sinclair wrote:

> Well, what I really meant was I want to override the layout for a
> certain action in my controller.

Yes, you can.

   class WeblogController < ActionController::Base
     layout "weblog_standard", :except => :rss

     # ...

   end

This will use the layout for all actions except rss. See the bottom of
the api docs for more options:
http://rails.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActionController/Layout/
ClassMethods.html

--