List:       racket-users
Subject:    [plt-scheme] Re: sxml package runs away on load, but only in mzscheme
From:       clements () brinckerhoff ! org (John Clements)
Date:       2008-01-25 20:07:42

On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:44 AM, Dmitry Lizorkin wrote:

>> I'm observing something strange about the new sxml/ssax packages;
>> requiring the package in mzscheme hangs and consumes all CPU, ..
>
> Indeed!
> It seems that mzscheme v 399 hangs on the phase of compiling zos for
> the package sources. The problem can also be reproduced by running
> setup-plt -l for the package.
>
>> Also, the first download from the  planet repository also hangs.
>
> IIUC, mzscheme attempts to create zo files on the first download
> from the planet repository; subsequent 'require's from planet work
> fine.
>
> Sorry for missing this. Before submission, I successfully unit
> tested the package code for both PLT v 360 and v 399 and
> successfully compiled the package sources into zo files for PLT v
> 360, but not v 399. OTOOH, I believe that a package submitter alone
> should not be able to hang the compiler; the package itself had no
> drastic code changes since as long as PLT v 20X. I thus believe that
> someone from PLT developerment team could elaborate the question
> better than me.

This was bothering me again today, so I spent some time trying to
narrow it down.  It appears that the problem occurs at least once in
the "lazy-xpath.ss" module.  In particular, requiring this module hangs:

computer:~/Library/PLT Scheme/planet/300/3.99.0.9/cache/lizorkin/
sxml.plt/2/0 clements$ mzscheme
Welcome to MzScheme v3.99.0.9 [3m], Copyright (c) 2004-2008 PLT Scheme
Inc.
 > (require "lazy-xpath.ss")
^Cuser break

... and commenting out everything but the "requires" allows it to run
fine.  In fact, clicking "check syntax" while this file is open in a
drscheme buffer causes DrScheme to run away.

I'm not familiar enough with this module to immediately spot the
likely culprits; maybe you are?

John Clements