List:       racf-l
Subject:    Re: Enabling the ADDCREATOR
From:       George Markouizos <00000f455a37b104-dmarc-request () LISTSERV ! UGA ! EDU>
Date:       2023-12-31 1:38:21

Hello Prakash,

As Marc correctly stated, the Application Identity Mapping (AIM) function was added \
to RACF approximately 15 years ago (I forgot the exact year and RACF release we \
developed this function) to help with the management of UIDs and GIDs. In my biased \
opinion (as a retired RACF developer) it is highly advisable to get your shop's RACF \
DB at AIM Stage 3 and avoid using the SETROPTS ADDCREATOR option.

This is a direct quote from, IBM Documentation, regarding the AIM function and its \
benefit(s). https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.2.0?topic=ibmracf-racf-aim-stage

 The RACF_AIM_STAGE check examines the RACF ® database application identity mapping \
(AIM) to see whether it is at AIM stage 3, which is recommended. Your system \
programmer can convert your RACF database to AIM stage 3 using the IRRIRA00 \
conversion utility.  Reason for check:
 AIM stage 3 allows RACF to more efficiently handle authentication and authorization \
requests from applications such as z/OS ® UNIX and is required to use some RACF \
function. You should assign a unique UNIX UID for each user and a unique GID for each \
group that needs access to z/OS UNIX functions and resources. Assigning unique IDs \
rather than shared IDs improves overall security and increases user accountability. \
However, if you have a large number of users without OMVS segments who need access to \
z/OS UNIX services, such as FTP, you might choose not to assign UNIX identities in \
advance of their need to use the services. In these cases, when your RACF database \
has been converted to AIM stage 3, you can enable RACF to automatically assign unique \
UNIX UIDs and GIDs at the time they are needed. "

By the way, Bob Hansel (RSH Consulting) had conducted a survey, in November 2011, \
regarding the Application Identity Mapping (AIM): \
https://rshconsulting.com/surveys/RSH_Consulting__RACF_Survey_002__AIM.pdf

George Markouizos
     On Thursday, December 28, 2023 at 01:42:37 AM EST, prakash Lalaram \