List:       racf-l
Subject:    Re: Digital Certificate - REKEY process with a new CA
From:       Wai Choi <wchoi () US ! IBM ! COM>
Date:       2022-04-28 23:41:12

Right... this cycles back to the basic point similar to the key management practice \
suggested by Greg earlier - '...to rotate keys whenever your key management policy \
says to rotate them.  And your key management policy should be based on the \
regulations that apply to your organization.'

For certificate management, it could be:

'Your certificate management policy should be based on the regulations that apply to \
your organization, which includes:  For CA certs -
1) List of trusted CAs,
2) How to add a trusted CA to the list ( self-generated, from the web site, from \
email...),  3) How to let the communicating parties get the root CA cert,
For end-entity certs that operate with private key -
1) Required key type, key size and validity period,
2) Renewal time before a cert expires,
....'

I just started with some basic points and hope others can chime in to beef up a \
general policy that would be useful for our members.

Wai Choi, CISSP
RACF/PKI Design and Development