List:       racf-l
Subject:    Re: Certificates not connected to a Key Ring and Expiring CERTAUTH certificates
From:       Wai Choi <wchoi () US ! IBM ! COM>
Date:       2020-05-01 16:40:19

Pete,

So you are talking about a similar case. By digging into information
provided by the Sectigo, I found the another cross certificate issued by a
different root.

To avoid the confusion, I won't use the same set of letters A, B, B' and
C. I use P, Q, Q' and R for the set of certificates you use.

AAA is another root the company wants to replace. It still has 8 years of
life. But it already signed a cross certificate last year to prepare for
its expiration. Let's call this P

Start Date: 2003/12/31 20:00:00
End Date:   2028/12/31 19:59:59
Serial Number:
     >01<
Issuer's Name:
     >CN=AAA Certificate Services.O=Comodo CA Limited.L=Salford.SP=Greater
<
     >Manchester.C=GB<
Subject's Name:
     >CN=AAA Certificate Services.O=Comodo CA Limited.L=Salford.SP=Greater
<
     >Manchester.C=GB<
Signing Algorithm: sha1RSA

The newer root is this. Let's call this Q

Start Date: 2010/01/31 20:00:00
End Date:   2038/01/18 19:59:59
Serial Number:
     >01FD6D30FCA3CA51A81BBC640E35032D<
Issuer's Name:
     >CN=USERTrust RSA Certification Authority.O=The USERTRUST
Network.L=Je<
     >rsey City.SP=New Jersey.C=US<
Subject's Name:
     >CN=USERTrust RSA Certification Authority.O=The USERTRUST
Network.L=Je<
     >rsey City.SP=New Jersey.C=US<
Signing Algorithm: sha384RSA

The cross certificate is this, it was created last year. Let's call this
Q'

Start Date: 2019/03/11 20:00:00
End Date:   2028/12/31 19:59:59
Serial Number:
     >3972443AF922B751D7D36C10DD313595<
Issuer's Name:
     >CN=AAA Certificate Services.O=Comodo CA Limited.L=Salford.SP=Greater
<
     >Manchester.C=GB<
Subject's Name:
     >CN=USERTrust RSA Certification Authority.O=The USERTRUST
Network.L=Je<
     >rsey City.SP=New Jersey.C=US<
Signing Algorithm: sha384RSA

If you have all of these CAs in RACF, depends on which certificate it
finds first, you will get a different result in LISTCHAIN:
XCICS<--R<--Q,          if Q is added before Q'
XCICS<--R<--Q'<--P, if Q' is added before Q.

You can try by removing and adding Q and Q' in a different order.

But the bottom line is either chain works for certificate validation until
the cross certificate expires. My recommendation is to keep the minimal
number of certificates in the keyring. A simple keyring is always easier
to maintain.

Regards,
Wai

Wai Choi - RACF/PKI Design and Development
Tie-line:295-7623
External: (845)435-7623
Internet: wchoi@us.ibm.com