List:       racf-l
Subject:    Re: Runtime Diagnostics HZS Task - TRUSTED?
From:       Elardus Engelbrecht <elardus.engelbrecht () SITA ! CO ! ZA>
Date:       2017-03-22 9:00:58

Robert S. Hansel (RSH) wrote:

> Manual "z/OS MVS Initialization and Tuning Reference" lists the Started Tasks that \
> should be run as TRUSTED. The list does not include HZS, the Runtime Diagnostics \
> task.

Over the years I see similar observations that the books contents are different. That \
'TRUSTED for HZS' is however news for me.

> Manual "z/OS Problem Management" provides instructions for setting up the HZS \
> Started Task and specifies giving it TRUSTED.

Weird, because according to that bookie, it only (?) reads OPERLOG and ENQ info for \
analysis.

> Should HZS be given TRUSTED, and if so, should it be included in Reference manual's \
> list? Why does it need TRUSTED?

I searched high and low, but could not find WHY. You could run it without TRUSTED and \
see what happens. But since you're supposed to run that only when you're getting some \
degradation, you perhaps can get only change to discover the reason.

What is your local IBMer saying about it? I'm asking because as documented, IBM may \
want you to run HZS to obtain some diagnostic info.

I would go (for now) with the book directly associated with the specific product, \
'Problem Management' which specify TRUSTED.

I think it is time to log a formal note to IBM for documentation correction?

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht