List:       racf-l
Subject:    Enhancements to IRRXUTIL samples on the RACF web page
From:       jan de decker <jan.jedsp () GMAIL ! COM>
Date:       2014-12-01 18:14:43

Hi list,

I received a request for comment from my manager today regarding the
original mail of Bruce Wells and I do not mind to share my comments.

XSETRPWD

The part about the password rules can certainly be useful if customized and
defined in a Health Check.

About the exits:

It is bad practice to use absolute displacements to obtain information of a
control block.

I would code this in a non-APF assembler program using DSECTs and put the
results in the rexx using IKJCT441.

XSTARTED

This is not a Health Check but a normal Rexx.

In order to use it as a System Rexx you have to define it as such in the
parmlib concatenation. As written, it requires for instance that it runs as
TSO=YES, debug=ON to have the 'say' output' in the //REXXOUT dataset. No
alert goes off.

A real Health Check would write messages that you can examine in SDSF, and
that can trigger an action by the automated operator. These messages must
be coded in SGML.

Best regards,

j@n