List:       racf-l
Subject:    Re: Auditor's finding
From:       Stu Henderson <stu () STUHENDERSON ! COM>
Date:       2014-02-21 22:37:56

To simplify what I think people are saying, it comes down to two statements:

1.    If you have read access to the RACF database or its copies, then
you can learn the passwords by brute force.

2.    If you don't have such access, there is no practical way to learn
passwords (other than guessing or social engineering or other methods
that apply to any platform).

You can't control what hackers do once they have read access.  You can
control who has read access.  You can control options like "three
invalid passwords and the userid gets revoked".

Auditors would do well to make recommendations relating to what we can
control.  And not ask us to control things outside our capability.

HTH.  Best regards, Stu

--
Stu Henderson (301) 229-7187  stu@stuhenderson.com  SITE= www.stuhenderson.com fax=301-229-3958
BLOG at:  www.stuhenderson.com/isauditblog