List:       r-sig-mixed-models
Subject:    Re: [R-sig-ME] Observation-level random effects
From:       David Duffy <David.Duffy () qimrberghofer ! edu ! au>
Date:       2021-04-13 6:51:09

Dear Shahin. I have attempted to fit the "animal model" for "development", =
treating each observation as a single offspring, with egg and Tank as fixed=
 effects (Tanks has 5 levels), and Cross as a RE. (These data are odd, with=
 development falling on just 26 values, and Tank 5 has  20 obs at 895.3, an=
d 2 x 901.1!). This was done in a couple of non-R genetics oriented LMM pac=
kages, incl Wombat (Karin Meyers' AI-REML package). This model still does n=
ot converge, but roughly Cross is 3/4 of the variance, and additive genetic=
 ~1/4, with residual variance small (driven by repeated parents). You will =
have to seek local statistical advice re priors for a Bayesian model in, sa=
y, MCMCglmm, or augment your data with other datasets for this organism.