List:       r-sig-mixed-models
Subject:    Re: [R-sig-ME] Covariance structure used in lme
From:       "Vaida, Florin" <fvaida () health ! ucsd ! edu>
Date:       2020-05-22 16:00:29

John, this is indeed an unstructured variance-covariance matrix for the random \
effects. Not to be confused with the covariance matrix of the longitudinal vector of \
observations, which in the context of the general linear model can also be modeled in \
a variety of ways, including unstructured (gls() function in R).

Florin