List:       r-sig-mixed-models
Subject:    Re: [R-sig-ME] Repeated measures within and across years
From:       Henrik Singmann <henrik.singmann () psychologie ! uni-freiburg ! de>
Date:       2013-09-26 9:41:14

Hi Kristen,

Although I am no expert in neither count models nor ecology, I will step in with some \
thoughts as you haven't received any response so far.

One of the advantages of mixed models over the classical approaches is that it allows \
for replications within a cell of the design. That is, one can usually avoid \
aggregation (at least if there aren't too many zero cells, I guess).

That being said, in your case the simplest model would be:

count ~ year + (1|site)

A fixed effect for year plus a random effect for site that accounts for differences \
in overall levels of populations between sites (i.e., a site random intercept). This \
already accounts for the repeated measure nature of the data.

However, as often said on this list, it is probably a good idea to include random \
slopes for year as well, to allow the effect of year to also vary site specific:

count ~ year + (year|site)

Next, it might be a good idea to consider within year variations by also modeling the \
effect of when within a year the data is measured:

count ~ year + jdate + (year + jdate|site)

(I am not so sure if with only three observations per site and year the jdate random \
slope is estimated precise enough, but one needs to inspect the model afterwards.)

Finally, one could also have the idea that year and jdate interact and come to the \
largest model (for which the same caveat as above applies):

count ~ year*jdate + (year*jdate|site)

Either of those formulas should be put in a call to glmer(..., family = poisson). \
However, you will also have to consider the case of over- or underdispersion, but as \
said above. This is not my field, so I have no idea about it.

Any other model (e.g., including ID) seems inappropriate given my understanding of \
your data (or I don'T understand what ID is supposed to be).

Hope that helps,
Henrik

--
Dipl. Psych. Henrik Singmann