List:       r-sig-mixed-models
Subject:    Re: [R-sig-ME] Question about what is "shrinkage"...
From:       Daniel Wright <Daniel.Wright () act ! org>
Date:       2013-09-20 14:37:47

Hi Emmanuel and others,

I would think of shrinkage as a characteristic result of what a lot of estimation \
methods do, rather than as a method in itself. The Efron and Morris paper focused on \
showing that this characteristic can be good, and they discuss this in light of some \
popular methods used then (they wrote several influential and more technical papers \
on empirical Bayes during this period). A lot of mixed/multilevel folks discuss \
different methods, but the value of this characteristic is well illustrated in Bates' \
last email and the "borrowing strength" phrase. So, yes, the values in caterpillar \
plots and the like (conditional modes, though often called level 2 residuals) are \
estimates of the individual unit which borrow information from the other units, so \
are "shrunken".

One way to show the effect of "shrinking" is show a plot with all the individual \
regression lines (just two variables) and then show the lines with with the slope and \
intercept estimated with shrinkage. An example is comparing Figures 3.7 and 3.8 of \
Kreft and de Leeuw's Introducing Multilevel Modeling. Here is some code to make an \
example. The plot on the left shows the OLS estimates, and there are two level 2 \
units which are very different from the others. The shrunken estimates on the right \
borrow information from the other 8 and mean the slopes of these two, while still \
different from the others, are a little less different.

set.seed(818)
library(lme4)
lev2 <- rep(1:10,10)
x <- rnorm(100)
y <- rep(rnorm(10),10) + (rep(rnorm(10),10)+2)*x + rnorm(100)
par(mfrow=c(1,2))
plot(x,y,cex=.5)
for (i in 1:10)
  abline(lm(y[lev2==i]~x[lev2==i]))