List:       r-sig-mixed-models
Subject:    [R-sig-ME]  Interpretation of lmer output in R
From:       Julia Sommerfeld <Julia.Sommerfeld () utas ! edu ! au>
Date:       2011-02-21 19:44:34

not sure if my email came through...

-------

Dear Douglas and list member,

Thank you heaps for your answers. The interpretation of the summary output
(lmer) is becoming much clearer now. I have to admit I had a slightly (not
to say HUGE) different idea of the summary output.

But a few questions still remain...

I have tried out the suggestions with the following results:

*1. I tested if "Sex" is an important factor in the model:
*
fm<-lmer(SameSite~BreedSuc1+Sex+(1|Bird), family="binomial")
fm1<-lmer(SameSite~BreedSuc1+(1|Bird), family="binomial")
anova(fm1,fm)

Models:
fm1: SameSite ~ BreedSuc1 + (1 | Bird)
fm: SameSite ~ BreedSuc1 + Sex + (1 | Bird)
    Df    AIC    BIC  logLik  Chisq Chi Df Pr(>Chisq)
fm1  3 75.518 81.485 -34.759
fm   4 77.379 85.335 -34.690 0.1387      1     0.7096

*2. Since Sex is not "important",  I compared fm1 with fm2 to test if
BreedSuc1 is an important factor:
*
fm2<-lmer(SameSite ~ 1 + (1|Bird), family="binomial")
anova(fm2,fm1)

Models:
fm2: SameSite ~ 1 + (1 | Bird)
fm1: SameSite ~ BreedSuc1 + (1 | Bird)
        Df    AIC        BIC      logLik      Chisq     Chi Df
 Pr(>Chisq)
fm2  2     77.617     81.595     -36.808
fm1  3     75.518      81.485     -34.759     4.0991          1
 0.04291 *

BUT: Ben (thanks for the input) disagreed here:
*"I'm afraid I have to disagree with Doug here. This kind of model
reduction, while seemingly sensible (and not as abusive as large-scale,
automated stepwise regression), is a mild form of data snooping. Don't do it
..." *

If I don't do it, what could be an alternative? Simply rely on the output of
fm1 without looking at fm2?

*3.  From the output above, I conclude that BreedSuc1 has an effect on
SameSite:*

summary(fm1)

Generalized linear mixed model fit by the Laplace approximation
Formula: SameSite ~ BreedSuc1 + (1 | Bird)
   AIC       BIC         logLik     deviance
 75.52     81.48     -34.76    69.52
Random effects:
 Groups Name            Variance     Std.Dev.
 Bird   (Intercept)         0.12332      0.35117
Number of obs: 54, groups: Bird, 46

Fixed effects:
                    Estimate     Std. Error     z value     Pr(>|z|)
(Intercept)      -0.2135       0.3794          -0.563        0.5736
BreedSuc11    1.1831         0.5921           1.998        0.0457 *
---
Signif. codes:  0 ‘***’ 0.001 ‘**’ 0.01 ‘*’ 0.05 ‘.’ 0.1 ‘ ’ 1

Correlation of Fixed Effects:
           (Intr)
BreedSuc11 -0.638

*Now, again the interpretation of the Fixed effects:
*
BreedSuc1 has a significant effect on SameSite.

#site-fidelity (SameSite=0)  of "bird" (bird(!), since I droppped "Sex"?)
who was unsuccessful in breeding in the previous season (BreedSuc1=0),
corresponds to a probability of *44%:*
plogis(-0.2135)
[1] 0.4468268

Further, site-fidelity (SameSite=0)  of "bird" who was successful in
breeding in the previous season (BreedSuc1=1), corresponds to a probability
of *72%:*
plogis(-0.2135 + 1.1831)
[1] 0.7250398

Is my interpretation correct? So this output is always based on SameSite=0?
(SameSite=0 means that birds did NOT change nest site, i.e. they show high
site-fidelity). But what if SameSite=1 would mean high site-fidelity (no
change of nests?)?

*4. if I don't drop the term "Sex":*

summary(fm)

Generalized linear mixed model fit by the Laplace approximation
Formula: SameSite ~ BreedSuc1 + Sex + (1 | Bird)
   AIC   BIC logLik deviance
 77.38 85.34 -34.69    69.38
Random effects:
 Groups Name        Variance     Std.Dev.
 Bird   (Intercept)     0.14080       0.37524
Number of obs: 54, groups: Bird, 46

Fixed effects:
                    Estimate         Std. Error     z value     Pr(>|z|)
(Intercept)     -0.3294         0.4890         -0.674     0.5006
BreedSuc11   1.1988          0.5957        2.012      0.0442 *
Sex    M             0.2215           0.5877           0.377      0.7062
---
Signif. codes:  0 ‘***’ 0.001 ‘**’ 0.01 ‘*’ 0.05 ‘.’ 0.1 ‘ ’ 1

Correlation of Fixed Effects:
           (Intr)             BrdS11
BreedSuc11     -0.536
SexM           -0.628      0.065

*site fidelity for a female bird (i.e. SexM is 0) who was unsuccessful in
breeding the previous season (i.e.
BreedSuc1 is 0) is -0.3294, corresponding to a probability of about 42%
> plogis(-0.3294)
[1] 0.4183866

The log-odds of site fidelity for a female bird who was successful in
breeding is -0.3294 + 1.1988, corresponding to a probability of about 70%
> plogis(-0.3294 + 1.1988)
[1] 0.7046208
*

*5. The z-value: Sorry, I still have some trouble with this value....*

In model fm (without "Sex") the z-value of BreedSuc1 corresponds to 1.998.

In model fm1("Sex" included) the z-value corresponds to 2.012.

Nearly the same value in both models. But what can someone conclude from: p<
0.05, z=1.998 ??? Because this is what many people write in their result
section (I was told to do so the same....).

*"You should see a LRT test statistic close to, but not exactly the same as,
the square of the z value when you compare the models with and without that
term.
This is the sense in which the z-value is an approximation".*

I don't really understand how the z-value can be seen as an approximation?
Am I missing some background knowledge here?

Again, thanks heaps for your help!!!!

Julia

--
Julia Sommerfeld - PhD Candidate
Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies

Phone: +61 458 247 348
Email: julia.somma@gmx.de
Julia.Sommerfeld@utas.edu.au

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]