List:       r-sig-mac
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Mac] BLAS veclib in R 4.1
From:       Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek () R-project ! org>
Date:       2021-06-14 23:33:15

Ashley,

parallel BLAS has been know to cause issues in precision, stability (when m=
ixed with other parallel use) and rarely performance. The vecLib stub has n=
ot been part of the distribution for some time now, however, you can downlo=
ad it and enable it as follows:

curl -O https://mac.r-project.org/libs-4/libRblas-vecLib-signed.tar.gz =

tar fxzP libRblas-vecLib-signed.tar.gz -C /
cd /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib
mv libRblas.dylib libRblas.0.dylib
ln -s  libRblas.vecLib.dylib libRblas.dylib

You can also choose to use the unsigned version for debugging or if you wan=
t to change its id. Use at your own risk as this setup has not been tested.

Cheers,
Simon

> On 15/06/2021, at 9:43 AM, Ashley Stephen Doane via R-SIG-Mac <r-sig-mac@=
r-project.org> wrote:
> =

> Hi,
> =

> I would like to use blas from Apple=EF=BF=BDs Accelerate framework instea=
d of the reference R blas in R 4.1.0.  The FAQ<https://cran.r-project.org/b=
in/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#Which-BLAS-is-used-and-how-can-it-be-changed_003=
f> indicates that two Rblas shared libraries are supplied, libRblas.vecLib.=
dylib which uses vecLib BLAS and libRblas.0.dylib which uses reference BLAS=
 from R.  However, in the current release 4.1 and 4.1-patched binaries, I o=
nly see the reference blas.  Does the answer in the FAQ no longer apply?  I=
 am on Mac OS 11.4, and installed in the default location and looking for t=
he blas libraries here: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/Current/Re=
sources/lib.  I am looking in the wrong place?