List:       r-sig-mac
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Mac] R CMD check warning in 4.0.0 RC
From:       Prof Brian Ripley <ripley () stats ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2020-04-21 4:45:51

On 20/04/2020 16:51, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> I've just installed R version 4.0.0 RC (2020-04-18 r78249) and am
> checking a package on MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6).  I can't install the
> recommended version of Xcode on this MacOS version.  I'm currently using
> Xcode 9.2.  (I think Xcode 10.x is supposed to work on High Sierra, but
> it isn't obvious how to update.)
>
> My package has a small amount of C code, and R CMD check is clean, but R
> CMD check --as-cran gives this NOTE:
>
> * checking compilation flags used ... NOTE
> Compilation used the following non-portable flag(s):
>    ‘-mmacosx-version-min=10.13’
>
> I didn't supply that, it's the default, so probably this note should not
> appear (even though the message is true).

The customizations for R CMD check are in the 'R Internals' manual.
That would have shown that you needed

setenv _R_CHECK_COMPILATION_FLAGS_KNOWN_ "-mmacosx-version-min=10.13"

It is too late for 4.0.0 but in any case I would be reluctant to include
that in the 'known good' flags.  What is not at all clear is which
compilers support it (even on macOS) -- it seems to be in the LLVM
version of clang but undocumented (like so many clang flags).