List:       r-sig-mac
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Mac]  Using lldb with R 3.6.3 and the current R-devel causes
From:       Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek () R-project ! org>
Date:       2020-04-10 20:27:37

Jim,

yes, this is something that was bound to come sooner or later. All the chan=
ges Apple is doing are security constraints, so there is by definition no w=
ay around it. It could be possible that in theory with disabled SIP you cou=
ld do something, but I didn't test if that's possible and not a wise idea f=
or users anyway.

However, code-signing and enabling hardened runtime in the new R4 build sys=
tem happens at the packaging step, so the binary tar ball
http://mac.r-project.org/high-sierra/R-4.0-branch/x86_64/R-4.0-branch.tar.gz
and
http://mac.r-project.org/high-sierra/R-devel/x86_64/R-4.0-branch.tar.gz
don't use hardened runtime. You could try and see if those work, apart from=
 signing (and thus entitlements enforcement like hardened runtime) they are=
 identical to the packages. If it does solve the problem we could publish t=
he tar balls of released versions on CRAN (you can always get the nightlies=
 from the mac site).

Cheers,
Simon

> On 11/04/2020, at 5:52 AM, Jim Hester <james.f.hester@gmail.com> wrote:
> =

> See below, lldb works with prior versions of R without a problem. Perhaps
> the new hardened runtime is the issue. The behavior seems similar to that
> discussed in this thread (https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/11905=
9).
> =

> It would be pretty detrimental not to be able to debug R with lldb, so
> hopefully we can find a way to make this work again.
> =

>> R --version
> R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29) -- "Holding the Windsock"
> Copyright (C) 2020 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
> =

>> R -d lldb
> (lldb) target create "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/=
R"