List:       r-sig-mac
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Please test R 4.0.0 pre-releases!
From:       Berend Hasselman <bhh () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2020-04-03 19:15:15

Simon,

I have tested an R-4.0.0 (i.e. R version 4.0.0 alpha (2020-04-01 r78130)
with my two packages (nleqslv and geigen) and all my private tests.
I have not found any problems with checking and testing these packages.
(I used Apple clang and Coudert's gfortran 8.2)

The only issue I have encountered is:

The R GUI hangs when I click "What's New In This Version" in the Help menu =
item.

Berend

> sessionInfo()
R version 4.0.0 alpha (2020-04-01 r78130)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRblas=
.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRlapa=
ck.dylib

locale:
[1] en_IE.UTF-8/en_IE.UTF-8/en_IE.UTF-8/C/en_IE.UTF-8/en_IE.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     =

[1] compiler_4.0.0

> On 1 Apr 2020, at 06:27, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek@r-project.org> wrot=
e:
> =

> Dear Mac users,
> =

> R 4.0.0 will be using an entirely new toolchain, entirely new build syste=
m on entirely new macOS version and hardware. Therefore I would like to ask=
 you kindly to test the binaries from
> =

> https://mac.R-project.org
> =

> before the release as much as you can. Raising any issues after the relea=
se is too late! So please, please, test the pre-releases. Report any issues=
 either directly to me or this mailing list.
> =

> The nightly builds are signed, but not necessarily notarized. However, th=
e build fulfils Apple's conditions and is known to pass notarization (in fa=
ct the the package available for download today is actually notarized) so i=
t should be a good test for the release which will be notarized and should =
work on Catalina.
> =

> For those that want to replicate our setup - technical details: we are no=
w building with macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) as target (i.e. the oldest suppor=
ted system), regular Apple Xcode/command line tools and GNU Fortran 8.2. R =
builds are running on macOS 10.15 (Catalina) with Xcode 11.4 using macOS 10=
.13 target. Packages are built on macOS 10.13 VMs with just Apple command l=
ine tools (this should make it easy to replicate the setup using Travis, fo=
r example). All 3rd party libraries that CRAN uses are available in http://=
mac.r-project.org/libs-4/
> =

> The new R build system is in
> https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/R4
> Packages build system has not changed and is in
> https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/packages
> =

> We also plan to have a mac-builder available with similar function as the=
 win-builder where pre-submission tests can be performed and potentially a =
Travis template.