List:       r-sig-mac
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Mac] R Mac Error on edit() Window Close
From:       Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek () r-project ! org>
Date:       2014-11-14 14:32:44

Tim,

On Nov 14, 2014, at 7:41 AM, Tim Bates <timothy.c.bates@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > (b) Are you seeing this both with Snow Leopard and Mavericks builds?
> > [Just] on 10.10 with 3.1.2-mavericks.pkg R.app GUI 1.65 (6833) \
> > x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 Looks like it's something with the Mavericks build. \
> > I'll stick with 3.1.2-snowleapard.pkg for now.
>
> Does anyone see a benefit (speed up) running the Mavericks build? I get the idea of \
> moving to new APIs, but not seeing a speed or functionality improvement. A the same \
> time, some packages (ones that need compiling) lag a bit for releasing Mavericks \
> versions?
> Just curious for an insight into why Mavericks will be better in the long term: \
> Compatibility with deprecated OSX function calls, or a faster run time ?

Mostly C++11 support.

The main reason is that Apple has removed all gcc tools from recent Xcode, so \
although the SL build itself is fine and stable, you can't easily build new packages \
from sources on Mavericks+ using the SL build. There are also a few work-arounds for \
issues with Mavericks+ (AppNap, ...) that cannot be used in the SL build since the \
API didn't exist there.

Cheers,
Simon