List:       r-sig-mac
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Mac] [R] plot 2 graphs on the same x-y plane
From:       Susan Gruber <sgruber () hsph ! harvard ! edu>
Date:       2012-04-11 13:42:20

Hi,
A line can be added to an existing plot using the abline function.  For example, if a \
is the intercept and b is the slope, the command would be  abline(a=a, b=b)

To overlay a new plot on an existing one, use the command: par(new=TRUE).
For example:

plot(1:10, 1:10)
par(new=TRUE)
plot(log(1:10), 1:10)

This approach often leads to issues with the scale of the axes, tick marks, and \
labels.  Fortunately, R provides the flexibility to deal with all of them. I \
recommend you carefully read the help pages for plot, par, and axis, and have some \
fun playing around with all the options.

--Susan

On Apr 10, 2012, at 11:55 PM, Tawee Laoitichote wrote:

> Dear Michael (and Davis), Your answer is not what I want to know. My question is to \
> find any command to plot the data I got from the field; such as a set of (x,y) data \
> ( I actually have these data) and together withe the derived ones . I brought these \
> data to plot on x-y plane,  getting a graph showing some relation. Then, I wanted \
> to find some linear relation, I would use least square method to solve having a \
> simple function such as; y = ax + b, solving the a and b. So, I could plot a \
> straight line using this function, or perhaps forecast some data of y which I know \
> the value x. My problem is when I did a scatter plot by command "plot(x,y)", I got \
> a graph. Whilst I plotted another graph using the above function the existing graph \
> disappeared replaced be the latter function. Unfortunately, after searching a while \
> to find the solution command, I can not find the command. I asked the question as \
> to request some help not the example you shown. Any way, thanks for you effort. !
 Ta!