List:       r-sig-mac
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Spinning wheel when running script
From:       Rick Johnson <rick () hearbirds ! com>
Date:       2011-07-28 16:42:36

Thank you David and Simon for quick responses. I was hoping that I might have made \
some usage error that you had seen before.  looks like I will have to dig deeper.

This is not a big job - yet.  I am just starting with simple intro lines:  library \
function, setting some file path names, and setting color scheme variables.  Code \
that works fine in my windows R project. No loops in my code, but there might be in \
the package functions. Not the point when I would go for a cup of coffee.

Plenty of memory.  Activity monitor shows maybe 63MB for R64 app and over 5 G free. \
R64 uses 45% of cpu.

Esc and R console stop button do not interrupt the process - consistent with  what \
Simon wrote: "Spinning wheel means that R has entered C code that is not \
interruptible."  The activity monitor says "not responding".  I have to kill it with \
the activity monitor.  Then the system produces a forced quit problem details report \
which I can mail if that is of any use.  It describes the event as "hang".

I am using the text editor that comes with the r.app gui.  I wasn't aware of Rstudio \
and will see if I have better success with that.

My intuition is that the r app gui is having problems with multi line paste of \
script, but your comments point to some error in the user code.

My script is simple, but it occurs to me that one of the packages might be a \
potential problem source.  I'll try testing them one at a time and see if that \
pinpoints a problem. And, I'll let you know if I make progress.  thanks

Rick