List:       r-sig-mac
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Mac] any advice on libtiff? (and rtiff)
From:       Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek () r-project ! org>
Date:       2010-04-29 16:19:38

On Apr 28, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Carl Witthoft wrote:

> Hi, I know rtiff does not compile 'cause it can't find libtiff (per cran check \
> logs).

Unfortunately rtiff forces wrong flags (that it checks with the wrong compilers and \
flags) and it allows no way around it so the best way forward would be if Eric could \
address this (details below).

The correct flags for the static build are PKG_LIBS="-ltiff -ljpeg -lz" because \
libtiff relies on JPEG and libz, but rtiff does not allow that.

I'm CCing Eric in the hope that this can be addressed in the package:

First, configure will check with CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, LIBS etc. yet those all are \
ignored since there is PKG_LIBS="-ltiff"
which is wrong - that's not what configure actually checked at all. AC_CHECK_LIB \
modifies LIBS to reflect the correct flags so it should be at the very least \
PKG_LIBS="$LIBS"

Second, the R compiler settings are ignored so the checks are actually run with the \
wrong compiler (this is crucial because let's say if you compile for R_ARCH=/x86_64 \
then the checks will be run with the default architecture of the compiler such as \
i386 which is completely different).

Also to make it more R friendly it is a good idea to initialize LIBS="$PKG_LIBS" so \
that the commonly used PKG_LIBS are respected (this is optional). So the configure.in \
could look something like

AC_PREREQ(2.1)
AC_INIT([rtiff], [1.1], [eric.kort@vai.org])
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([src/rtiff.c])