List:       r-sig-mac
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Mac] searchpath for R2dvi
From:       Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek () r-project ! org>
Date:       2005-02-07 21:24:09

Joerg,

On Feb 7, 2005, at 8:36 AM, joerg van den hoff wrote:

<excerpt>trying to generate .dvi from .Rd from the command line with

Rd2dvi something.Rd

leads to the errormessage

"Creating dvi output from LaTeX ...

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/Rd2dvi: line 309:
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/latex: No such file
or directory"

now, there _is_ a latex installation on my machine, although not in
/usr/local, but rather in /sw/bin (==> 'fink' installation).

</excerpt>

Although not apparent from your mail, I assume you're using CRAN
binary version of R. The default path to the latex installation is
determined at compile (resp. config) time, therefore it makes no
difference what your PATH setting is at runtime. The CRAN version was
compiled using teTeX installed using i-Installer (the recommended
setup). One way of changing the default path is to set LATEX or
R_LATEXCMD environment variables. Other ways include editing
etc/Makevars or compiling R yourself.

Cheers,

Simon