List:       r-sig-geo
Subject:    Re: [R-sig-Geo] Likfit: Lambda values (Box-Cox's function)
From:       Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr <paulojus () c3sl ! ufpr ! br>
Date:       2015-03-25 20:38:29

For certain data the model may be hard to identify
and objective function can produce odd values.

try to divide and conquer!

lambda = 0.01 is so close to lambda=0 which defines the log-transformation

Have you tried this value?

I would not try to fitt all parameters (at least at first)

the transformation parameter is ussualy almot orthigonal to the others so
you could try to find the transformation first (use MASS:::boxcox())
and then run likfit fixint the transformation parameters.

For kappa I would also try to fit some values, 0.5, 1, 1.5 .... 5
first and chack the corresponding likelihoods.
In practice you may not need the fine tune on this parameter.

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratorio de Estatistica e Geoinformacao)
Universidade Federal do Parana
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990
Curitiba, PR  -  Brasil