List:       r-sig-geo
Subject:    Re: [R-sig-Geo] Spatial maximisation problem using polygons
From:       "Robert J. Hijmans" <r.hijmans () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-09-19 14:01:41

Rui,
You could create a matrix (=raster) and a function that creates a
valid set of groups of 4 cells that are not adjacent. The function
should return the solution (output matrix values: TRUE or FALSE) and
the sum of the selected values. Then use the optim function to
optimize based on the sum. When you have an optimal solution, create a
raster from the matrix and coerce that to polygons.