List:       r-sig-geo
Subject:    Re: [R-sig-Geo] Creating non-overlapping polygons from centroid
From:       Jacob van Etten <jacobvanetten () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-05-23 20:21:58

Dear Jens,

A nice problem. I think this is done best with weighted Voronoi diagrams (sometimes \
called power diagrams).

I am not
aware of an R package that does this. The package geometry does Voronoi diagrams, but \
I think it cannot produce the weighted version.

Probably you need another programme.

ArcGis has this extension:

http://www.geog.unt.edu/~pdong/software/VoronoiHelp.pdf

I also found this document, which discusses free programmes (there are more!):

http://giswin.geo.tsukuba.ac.jp/sis/tutorial/GISHint,fatemeh.pdf

Good luck!

Jacob van Etten