List:       r-sig-geo
Subject:    Re: [R-sig-Geo] projection
From:       Tomislav Hengl <hengl () spatial-analyst ! net>
Date:       2010-05-20 18:36:55

It is a pity that people that have provided this data did not attach
any metadata (see for example the simple metadata format I used to
prepare worldmaps e.g.
[http://spatial-analyst.net/worldmaps/globedem.rdc]).

My favorite places to look for correct proj4 strings (i.e. projection
parameters) are [http://spatialreference.org] and
[http://epsg-registry.org]. In this case I get multiple matches e.g.:

[http://spatialreference.org/ref/?search=ED+1950+Lambert+Conformal+Conic]

which means that you either need to test each one (reproject to latlon
coordinates and then display in Google Earth). Or you need to contact
the people that gave you this file and check with them how did they
generate that map.

Otherwise, why break head? You can also obtain the SRTM blocks
yourself and rebuild (mosaic) the map for the area of interest:

[http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp]

In fact, this is probably the best recommendation that I can give.

HTH

T. Hengl
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/t.hengl/