List:       r-sig-finance
Subject:    [R-SIG-Finance] Singular matrix in DCC fit in package rmgarch | how to bypass base::solve() elegantl
From:       Peter Ruckdeschel <peter.ruckdeschel () web ! de>
Date:       2020-04-09 13:06:37

Dear Alexis,=C2=A0 dear colleagues,

a student of mine, Patrick Harren (CC), is currently writing his master the=
sis with me as advisor.

He is to write on portfolio optimization for many assets by means of dynami=
c elliptical copulas
using a DCC-GARCH model as implemented in R package rmgarch.

In his code he is stumbling on errors of form

=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 "error: matrix multiplication: problem with matrix inver=
se; suggest to use solve() instead"

I am not surprised this happens, as he has a p>n situation, i.e. more asset=
s than observations,
so I would guess this is due to singular matrices which at some point of th=
e code is to be inverted.

Is there any [easy] way to replace the general solver base::solve() by some=
thing like MASS::ginv()
for this purpose, or, if appropriate, would you suggest another regularizat=
ion, say by some sort of
shrinkage?

Any suggestions welcome, thank you already,

best regards, Peter Ruckdeschel

--
% Prof. Dr. Peter Ruckdeschel