List:       r-sig-finance
Subject:    Re: [R-SIG-Finance] FRED database schema
From:       Paul Teetor <paulteetor () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-07-26 22:03:13

Nick:

In case you are considering building such a database, I'll offer the opinion
that the one-table-per-time-series design is *not* the way to go. My database
contains hundreds of time series. If I had one table for each, it would be a
nightmare, and, yes, maintaining the database would be very, very
time-consuming. Instead, there is one data table keyed by <timeseries, date>,
and numerous supporting reference tables.

Before this discussion goes any father, I'll note that r-sig-finance is not the
place for database design discussions. But, then, I don't know what place is.

 Paul Teetor, Elgin, IL  USA
http://quanttrader.info/public