List:       r-sig-debian
Subject:    Re: [R-sig-Debian] Dependency failures on installing older R packages in Ubuntu
From:       Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd () debian ! org>
Date:       2016-02-23 17:16:32

On 23 February 2016 at 16:58, Jordan Dawe wrote:
| We are operating an R server in a business production environment, and
| thus we wish to maintain package stability.  I understand you are
| volunteers, and thank you for your efforts.  Since the previous versions
| of these packages are available on your repository, I mistakenly thought
| you intended there to be backward compatibility.

That is not an uncommon request and you may get commerical support from
some.

Your main problem is going to be one of consistency: so you think an old R
version is better, fine.  but what about CRAN?  Do you only take old matching
versions -- install.packages() etc all assume 'current R' Revolution (now
part of Microsoft) has a 'time machine' feature in MRAN where you can
snapshot.

I generally think that 'current' is best but that won't help you here.

Cheers, Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org