List:       r-help
Subject:    Re: [R] Convert character date time to R date-time variable.
From:       Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-12-08 21:56:10

On 08/12/2023 4:30 p.m., David Winsemius wrote:

> On 12/7/23 08:21, Sorkin, John wrote:
> > Colleagues,
> >
> > I have a matrix of character data that represents date and time. The format of \
> > each element of the matrix is "2020-09-17_00:00:00"
> > How can I convert the elements into a valid R date-time constant?
>
> You will not be able to store these datetime values in an R matrix, at
> least as class POSIXct. You could with class POSIXlt, but I've not seen
> it used before but it does appear possible since matrices can contain
> lists.
>
> R matrices do no provide the capability to assign attributes, so only
> atomic types and lists can be elements. If you wanted to maintain the
> same structure, your first step might be to coerce to a data.frame and
> then proceed, or to first construct a vector and then use as the first
> argument to `matrix`.

The general sentiment is correct (it's hard to put POSIXct elements in
matrices), but it's not impossible.  Almost all R objects can have
attributes.

For example,

   m <- matrix(Sys.time(), 2,2)

converts the time to a numerical value, but you can view it as a POSIXlt
object using

   class(m) <- c("POSIXct", class(m))

Subsetting works, e.g. m[1,1] is a time, etc.

Duncan Murdoch