List:       r-help
Subject:    [R] Unexpected behaviour of windowsFonts() when Rdevga is edited
From:       csrabak () bol ! com ! br
Date:       2017-12-26 17:54:14

Hi folks,

Running R in a Windows machine:

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.4.2 (2017-09-28)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 8.1 x64 (build 9600)

Matrix products: default

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=Portuguese_Brazil.1252  LC_CTYPE=Portuguese_Brazil.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=Portuguese_Brazil.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=Portuguese_Brazil.1252

attached base packages:

[1] compiler_3.4.2  nlme_3.1-131    grid_3.4.2      lattice_0.20-35
[5] fortunes_1.5-4

Where Rdevega was edited as folows:

# The system-wide copy is in rwxxxx/etc.
# A user copy can be installed in `R_USER'.

# Format is
# [TT] face:style
# where style is plain, bold, italic or bold&italic.
# If 'TT' is present, only TrueType/OpenType fonts are searched.
# Remarks:
#   (a) Windows graphics engine can only rotate TrueType fonts;
#   (b) Only the first 32 fonts will be used.

<Rdevga>
TT Verdana : plain
TT Verdana : bold
TT Verdana : italic
TT Verdana : bold&italic

# Please, don't change the following definition. The plot math engine
# assumes that font5 contains greek letters and math symbols
TT Symbol: plain

TT Times New Roman : plain
TT Times New Roman : bold
TT Times New Roman : italic
TT Times New Roman : bold&italic

TT Courier New: plain
TT Courier New: bold
TT Courier New: italic
TT Courier New: bold&italic

TT Century Gothic : plain
TT Century Gothic : bold
TT Century Gothic : italic
TT Century Gothic : bold&italic

TT Matisse ITC: plain
TT Wingdings: plain
</Rdevga>

When I check the font family:

> windowsFonts()$sans
[1] "TT Arial"

I find unexpected that the family name is still "TT Arial" although the font when \
ploting or using text() for annotation in graphics employs the font selected in the \
Rdevga file (Verdana in this case).
I searched all documentation and the Net and the answer to this puzzle eluded me, so \
if not a bug, I find this very unexpected!
TIA

--
Cesar Rabak