List:       r-help
Subject:    Re: [R] Incorrect Summarization after As.numeric
From:       Sarah Goslee <sarah.goslee () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-12-28 18:41:37

You probably want

as.numeric(as.character(myfactor))

since the underlying numeric representation of a factor that's
obtained with as.numeric() does not match what you see if your factor
"appears" numeric.

> myfactor <- as.factor(c("5", "6", "43", "22", "5", "22", "22"))
> myfactor
[1] 5  6  43 22 5  22 22
Levels: 22 43 5 6
> as.numeric(myfactor)
[1] 3 4 2 1 3 1 1
> as.numeric(as.character(myfactor))
[1]  5  6 43 22  5 22 22

One of the examples for ?as.numeric demonstrates this, but it's not
explicitly explained there.

Sarah