List:       r-help
Subject:    [R] Construct plot combination using grid without plotting and retrieving an object?
From:       Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann () web ! de>
Date:       2013-05-24 8:24:55

Hi,

I'm currently combining multiple plots using something along the lines
of the following pseudo-code:

library(grid)
grid.newpage()
tmpLayout <- grid.layout(
    nrow=4,
    ncol=2)
pushViewport(viewport(layout = tmpLayout))

and than proceeding with filling the viewports ... works fine, but for
packaging of functions I would really prefer if I could assemble all of
this in an object which in the end would be callable with "print".

I'm envisioning something along the lines of what I can do with
ggplot2: return a plot as a ggpplot object and plot it later rather
than as I assemble it. Is that possible with a complex grid figure?

Thanks for any pointers.

Joh