List:       r-help
Subject:    Re: [R] configure can't find readline -- but it's there!
From:       Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz () me ! com>
Date:       2011-12-30 17:21:32

Hi Sam,

It has been almost 3 years since I last used Linux (Fedora), but if memory serves \
using, as root, either:

 yum provides readline.h

or perhaps

 yum search readline

might be possible ways of getting the names of the relevant RPMs in the repos. You \
might have to tweak the 'readline' argument to get it to work (eg. readline* or \
something similar).

The need for the *-devel RPMs is referenced in the R Installation and Administration \
manual (Appendix A) and is a FAQ over the years here.

One other comment, which you may not be aware of. Pre-built R binaries are available \
for RHEL and CentOS via the EPEL:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

Adding the EPEL repos to your system would then allow you to install R using yum as \
root:

  yum install R

rather than building from source. R 2.14.0 is there now, however, R 2.14.1 is not yet \
present. I would guess that Tom Callaway et al would be working on that RSN.
Regards,

Marc