List:       r-help
Subject:    [R] How many nested function calls?
From:       muchado22 () gmail ! com
Date:       2011-01-31 22:23:27

Is there a limit to how many nested function calls R will tolerate? I mean,
if I have a function that calls another function that calls another
function, etc., is there a limit to how deep I can go?

I am getting an error that says a variable is not available. When I do a
traceback(), it shows that the supposedly missing variable is 7 functions
back. I'll call that "fcn1".

As far as I can tell, the variable that the error says is not available is
in fact globally available, except when I try to access it via nested
function calls. Also, when I call fcn1 at the command prompt, there is no
problem. But if I put browser() inside fcn1 and call fcn7, the variable is
not available at the Browse[1]> prompt. And I get the same problem if I call
fcn2.

Does it sound like the problem is the number of nested function calls or
something else?

Thanks,
Anna

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]