List:       r-help
Subject:    Re: [R] Random number generation
From:       "Greg Snow" <Greg.Snow () imail ! org>
Date:       2008-05-12 15:58:06

[snip]

> What I read doesn't seem to be incorrect however (it may even
> have been an archived message here), the *language* itself
> does not seem to support block *comments*. Using conditional
> constructs, or an IDE/editor to achieve similar results is a
> work around - but not the same. I don't mean to nitpick, but
> as a computer scientist I see this as different :-)

I am not a computer scientist, so correct me if I am wrong, but from what I remember \
(and a quick glance at my copy of Kernighan Ritchie), the C *language* itself does \
not support block *comments*, rather the preproccessor replaces the comments with a \
single space and the compilor does not even see them.

Since R is optimized for interactive use rather than compilation, running everything \
through a preproccessor is not really an option.  However as an additional work \
around you could always run your R scripts through the C preproccessor and have it \
strip the block comments for you.

Given the complexity of implementing block commenting (even deciding on the syntax) \
and the ease of current work arounds, the cost benefit ratio probably puts this very \
near the bottom of the priority list.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center