List:       r-help
Subject:    [R] Increment element of vector and efficiency
From:       "Pascal A. Niklaus" <Pascal.Niklaus () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2003-11-20 13:43:48

Hi all,

Thanks for the incredibly quick help with the "%in%"...

There's a second question, though: I'd like to increment an element of a
vector if a certain event occurs, e.g.

    count[event] <- count[event] + 1;         # works, but...

Is this efficient? I wonder whether R needs to subset the count vector
on both sides of the assignment operator (i.e., twice), or whether
there's a shortcut like "++" in C, e.g. "count[i]++" or similar?

Pascal