List:       r-help
Subject:    [R] Find value in vector (or matrix)
From:       "Pascal A. Niklaus" <Pascal.Niklaus () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2003-11-20 12:26:23

Hi all,

Is there a function to check if a particular value is contained in a
vector? I've looked at grep in the hope that I could use a Perl-like
syntax, but obviously it's different...

I'd like to do something like:

    if("a" in y)
    {
          # "a" is not in y
    }

Also, is there a way to generate character sequences similar to numeric
sequences, e.g. something like "A":"J" ? I remember having seen a
command doing this somewhere, but can't find it anymore

Thanks

Pascal