List:       r-devel
Subject:    Re: [Rd] New version of X11, png and jpeg
From:       "Michael Lawrence" <mflawren () fhcrc ! org>
Date:       2008-04-30 21:43:16

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Maarten Blaauw <drieteenmeeuw@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> The now default Cairo results in much prettier graphs, but dense graphs
> such
> as plot(rnorm(1e4)) take considerably longer to plot than using
> X11(type="Xlib"). This has already been mentioned, but I was wondering if
> we
> users could expect Cairo speed increases in the near future?

I'm skeptical that the base performance of the Cairo library will improve
much, but there has long been talk of a hardware-accelerated backend. Most
recently, someone came up with one based on OpenVG (and its ShivaVG
implementation using OpenGL and C). It's a long way from being part of base
Cairo (or even released on its own).

Of course, it would really help to optimize at a higher level (e.g. use
caching to avoid re-rendering the same glyph thousands of times).

I've also thought about using a vector-based API directly on top of OpenGL,
like what Qt (and now the clutter project) has, but that's getting
off-topic.