List:       qubes-users
Subject:    [qubes-users] Re: problem with 4.2 rc5 installation source
From:       Catacombs <ggg397 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-12-20 16:50:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

hi,   sorry if it was wrong, but I sent your home email from a proton
account.  It might have gone to spam.

The Qubes OS group just released Qubes 4.2 Final, which might accomplish
install more ---directly.

I usually haunt the Qubes Forum.https://forum.qubes-os.org/, where you
might get more responses to your questions.

Besides from getting your current laptop to work with the latest Qubes 4.2
Final (released yesterday).  and doing so for kinda of experiment.  And i
say this for others reading this post besides you:   is to purchase a
laptop which is well known to work with Qubes.

The Lenovo Thinkpad X-230  or  Thinkpad X-430.  Yes one must get at least 8
GB RAM, and it is an old processor (third generation Intel)  But you can
probably acquire one for two hundred (American) dollars.  in nearly any
country in the world.  Those who need an inexpensive can buy one of these
and modify it to be a very secure computer by installing Heads to verify
tampering.  If one looks at the website of Insurgo, he provides the details
of what he does to modify these computers.    These modified Lenovo
Thinkpad X-230, or X-430.    are sold by Nitro Key with some offerings of
the later hardware of their own build.  In addition, Purism, Librem sells
new laptops meant to be used with Qubes.  Puri , it is rumored, is about to
start selling a new model.

Documentation.   As the Qubes 4.2 Final is just out, the effort to
-re-create documentation is underway.  Much of Qubes discussions, (I read,
is now on Git-Hub, rather than the Forum-Qubes.

Qubes OS , by design, keeps some devices, like camera, laptop internal
microphone and such from being available to a Qube unless the computer
operater  specifically authorises it.  I have not heard of any one who
wanted to connect those things via USB.   Keeping in mind that USB is
considered a security hazard, plus it is likely no security expert ever
audited the specific device you are connecting,  USB Camera.  USB
Microphone.  and so on.  USB Hub having the potential security risk.  Some
might say a USB mouse as well being a security risk.

Someone emailed to me, he knows a lot of journalists, and none will use
Qubes because of, it is more of a hackers thing.  If one has like a
University degree in Computer Science, using Qubes is likely pretty easy to
understand, and perhaps use.  For a Journalist, well, they think different,
and lack a lot of hacker training.

If an individual is a Human Rights Defender, one might use "The Anonymous
Incognito Linux System"  Tails OS. https://tails.net/

However some might say that by getting on Tor, in some countries, marks the
person logging into Tor to the government surveillance.  Then mistakes in
using Tor would further risk. . . .   yes, I have heard of Tor Bridges.
but I would guess that Authoritarian Government surveillance minders
constantly mine Bridge login locations.   I read of some fellow who used a
bit of software to establish , on a server outside his country to create
his own personal login start.  I would hesitate to give explanations
because of the risks involved.  in that as well...

I was told that many of those in Chinese Prisons posted their statements
negative to their society, posted them on Facebook.  Some governments have
a low tolerance for criticism.

I would hope that the new documentation for Installing Qubes OS, would
include a wiki of Troubleshooting,  what to expect from the install when.

Most of my easy installs were to computers in 'Legacy Mode'  UEFI installs
can seem problematic, but since I have no experience with that.

Keep in mind.  Qubes OS expects to be installed as the only OS on the
computer.  No sharing.  Qubes OS is installed what is called bare metal.
If you are trying to do some kind of dual boot, you might get it to work.
But it might entail more work.  I read that it is a security issue if there
is another OS on the same computer.  Keep in mind that there is now malware
which installs to the boot of the computer.   There is also LOGO-fail
malware.

Check for you model on the HCL,  "Hardware Compatibility List"
https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/  to see if there is any discussion of issues,
how they could be solved.  Sometimes it is a matter of a directive  the
graphics card requires..

Go through the requirements of the computer you have with the list.  If I
has virtualization enabled.  Test it ,  somehow.  I found I had computer
where, while the BIOS/EFI had the virtualization turned on.  I had to
restart it like three times to get, the OS I had installed to test
Virtualization, to acknowledge it.  Might have been the OS, not the BIOS.
But I could take it off my list.

There are several things to try if your computer is not a Legacy install.
Like I said, I have not used UEFI, and my computers secure boot system
turned on.  I think there is a specific program to write the boot before
starting install.  in Git-Hub.  and an option for UEFI problems at the
beginning of the Install.

I would really suggest you try Qubes OS 4.2 Final before giving up.   The
Developers apparently fixed some things that might help this to work.

The computer I had the most trouble with was a Librem 13v2,  Qubes 4.2 RC2
would install easily, others balked.   I could install Qubes 4.2RC2 (yes
that is two, months ago)   and update, update, update.

I finally used, Ubuntu 20.3, Gparted to format the SSD, and the second
empty drive.  Set SSD flag to boot.  I used my latest USB drive, (fastest)
(which I did the slow version of format (FAT32)  on windows 10 (I did not
see a Linux option)  I was thinking the fast format only did the top of the
drive and the partition table.  and the thing might trip over is own feet,
something in the file system on USB drive.  That format went a long, long
time.   I installed Qubes 4.2RC5 to the USB drive using the program used by
Mint Linux 20.x  (latest, updated) "USB image writer"

I felt trying to install Qubes 4.2 RC5 on top of another OS might be a
problem.  So yes, I repeat.  I blanked the drive.

I once had problems trying to have both of the disks in the Librem 13V2 to
boot up.  (it uses PureBoot, a proprietary BIOS/EFI)  I guessed the
problems I had experienced with  Qubes 4.2 RC5 (yes five, not final)  had
to do with the speed the installed polled the drives to figure out what to
do.

Worked.  I don't know which option.

The Qubes Installer for 4.2 Final shows up to install on top of drive in
Librem now.  Our Developers did something.  thanks guys.

What I hope we can put on the Wiki, although only some need all the detail,
is things like where some event in the install process takes time, and one
waits for it.