List:       qubes-users
Subject:    [qubes-users] How to use lvms from a disk with a valid Qubes installation as qubes in another Qubes
From:       "'Qru' via qubes-users" <qubes-users () googlegroups ! com>
Date:       2023-07-09 11:33:49

In my desktop Qubes system the mainboard died. So I bought a new one. Unfortunately I \
didn't make a backup for some days. After building the new hardware system my Qubes \
installation from the old ssd doesn't start there. (Somehow the system freezes or at \
least the keyboard is being switched off just before I have to input the disk \
password.)

So I created a new Qubes installation on an USB stick, which works quite well in the \
new system (both are Qubes 4.1.) Running this new installation I can still access my \
old ssd. I see all the lvms from my old installation (I have around 100 qubes, so \
about 250 lvms). I can rename the vg, activate and mount each lvm and access all \
data. But I cannot use the lvms as qubes. They don't appear with qvm-ls.

How can I make use of these lvms?

I want to have them recognized as qubes. Then I want to make a full Qubes backup off \
all my cubes. And after a new Qubes installation I want to restore them. I could \
backup the lvms in a non Qubes way. But then again I would have the problem to make \
them known as qubes to my new system.

I read all the documentation, especially "How to back up, restore, and migrate", "How \
to mount a Qubes partition from another OS" and "Secondary storage". But this didn't \
answer my questions. I can access the data but I cannot use the old qubes as qubes in \
a new system.

How can this be accomplished?

Any help is highly appreciated.
- Qru