List:       qubes-users
Subject:    Re: [qubes-users] Data recovery -- thin provisioned LVM metadata (?) problem
From:       "'unman' via qubes-users" <qubes-users () googlegroups ! com>
Date:       2023-04-25 14:29:21

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 08:19:48AM +0200, haaber wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I had a lethally bad hardware failure on computer.   Since I had to buy a
> new machine this took a while, now I try to save some data: the old SSD
> is attached to a brand-new qubes via usb adapter. I started
>
> sudo pvscan       and     sudo vgscan --mknodes       and sudo vgchange -ay as
> manual says.
>
> unexpected output:
>
> PV /dev/mapper/OLDSSD    VG qubes_dom0           lvm2 [238.27 GiB / <15.79
> GiB free]
> Total: 1 [238.27 GiB] / in use: 1 [238.27 GiB] / in no VG: 0 [0     ]
> Found volume group "qubes_dom0" using metadata type lvm2
> Check of pool qubes_dom0/pool00 failed (status:1). Manual repair
> required!
>
> 1 logical volume(s) in volume group "qubes_dom0" now active
>
> then I consulted dr. google for help, and found little help. This one
>
> https://mellowhost.com/billing/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/65/How-to-Repair-a-lvm-thin-pool.html
>
> suggested to deactivate volumed so that a repair can work. Only swap was
> active, I deactivated it. But repair does not work:
>
> lvconvert --repair qubes_dom0/pool00
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
> what():   transaction_manager::new_block() couldn't allocate new block
> Child 21255 exited abnormally
> Repair of thin metadata volume of thin pool qubes_dom0/pool00 failed
> (status:-1). Manual repair required!
>

> So now I am struck and ask for help! This is not purely qubes-related, I
> known, but I hope to find competent help within the community.
>

> cheers, Bernhard

Hi Bernhard
Havent seen you for a while. Nice to see you back.
I've been able to fix this in the past by deleting snapshots - I'm not
sure if this will work for you.
If I were you I would take a copy of the SSD with dd, and then start to
prune - what happens if you use lvremove against some of the larger
snapshots?
unman